I am back after so long! Sorry for not posting for quite a while I was really really busy. Today I will be talking about whether should one choose to work towards a good paying job, or their dream job.
This is a very common issue between Singaporeans. As teenagers, we often have our dreams. Some might want to grow up to be a dancer, a singer, or maybe a police officer or more. However, we often have parents that tell us, “If you don’t study now, next time you will not end up with a good paying job.” Now the question is, define the term “a good paying job”.
Types of Jobs
To most of the people in Singapore, a good paying job is one that could allow you to earn loads of money and enjoy luxuries. If you think so, I got to tell you that you are absolutely right. A good paying job enables you to earn lots of money and with that amount of money you would be able to enjoy luxuries. However, the job that you most probably wanted when you were young is called a Dream Job.
What is a Dream Job?
Well, remember telling your parents when you were young that you wanted to be a policeman, a soldier, a singer. That was most probably the job that you wanted and you would most probably enjoy while working. To call a job your dream job, you must be passionate about it. Without being passionate about it, you would most probably want the job just for the fun of it. And this is not called a dream job.
Take you time now, to breathe in and think. What would you most probably enjoy working as. I’m pretty sure by this time most of you would have got an answer already right? Then now, think about the job that you are planning to work as. Is it the same as your dream job? If it is, then congrats. Then again, what if it isn’t? That means you are most probably influenced by your surroundings (family, friends, peer pressure).
Choosing a Career Path
Finally, the main topic. Choosing a career path would never be easy for most people. You want to work towards your dream job, however you become influenced by your surroundings and are not able to choose the career path that you want. Let me help you to choose by telling you a few facts.
- You only live once. If you do not choose wisely, you might regret it in the future.
- Are you really going to enjoy the career that you are working towards? After all it is most probably the career that you are going to work as for the rest of your life.
- What if you regret it in the future? If you do, changing your career would be tough. If you had been working to become an accountant for e.g. 5 years, and you suddenly quit and start working to become a dancer, chances are you would be suffering as you know nothing about becoming a dancer.
Since you only live once, you should really choose wisely, and that is why I am here to help you today.
Let us weigh the pros and cons first of a good paying job and a dream job first.
Good Paying Job
- You need not worry about money
- You are able to live a luxurious life
- You can buy what ever you want
- You don’t get to enjoy working
- You might regret it after a while
- You might never ever get to fulfill your dreams
- You get to enjoy your job
- You might still earn a lot of money
- You will become a happy person
- You get to fulfill you dreams
- You cannot spend so much money
- You don’t always get to buy whatever you want
- You might have to worry about money
It is all personal preference. If you choose to work towards your dream job, initially, you might not earn a lot of money and you cannot buy what you want, but you would definitely excel in that job if you put your heart and mind into it and you would be a happy person. However, if you choose a good paying job, you will earn a lot of money, be able to buy what you want, but you might not be a happy person. If you were to ask me for advice, I would advise you to follow your dreams and become a happy person.
Some people choose differently when it comes to this. Some people think that it is more important to have money and be able to buy whatever you want, and some people think that it is more important to follow your dreams. For me, I would choose to follow my dreams and end up working as what I want. If you would ask me why, I would say, it is because I want to be a happy person and enjoy my life. What about you?
Leave a comment below to let us know how you feel, or drop us a email and I will be more than happy to reply you.